|
You lose some, You gain some
Thursday, December 16, 2010 @ 11:15 AM
Someone recently asked me something that really got me thinking. It was just a casual Facebook chat, nothing out of the ordinary when the question got asked. "So, what will you miss about New Zealand?" And this got me thinking about what I will miss and what I will gain in moving home to Canada.
I'll start off by answering the question I guess...What will I miss about New Zealand?
- My family - above all else I will miss my own flesh and blood. The comfort of having them around through thick and thin. A group of people who are required to be your teammates. People to fight with and love all the same.
- The people - I've met some really great people down here. People I hope that I never forget, and that never forget me. Some have impacted me beyond explanation. Some will be in my heart forever. I hope that they'll come visit me, and I know I'll be back to see them again. And if not, we always have England as the middle ground.
- No Tax added - Boy, you don't even know how convenient that has become. Seeing a price on something and knowing that that is exactly what you are going to pay. No stupid HST to add on. No math to do in my head when it is clouded with longing for something.
- The Ocean - I hate swimming in it, making Okanagan Lake much more suited for the swimming side, but I love having the ocean close by. I haven't spent much time there. But I've loved being there. So much more interesting than a lake.
There are so many things that I am looking forward to going home to though.
- My hometown - No matter how much you Easterners want to claim me as your own, Kelowna is my hometown and always will be. I'm just not ready to give it up yet. I'm looking forward to the familiarity. I'm looking forward to the snow and the sun and all the inbetween. I'm looking forward to the beaches and the mountains, all of it.
- My friends - They have been my rock, kept me grounded and supported me through everything these past few months. Many have been around for much much longer and seen me through a lot more than just a move across the world. I am excited to have my girls together again, to have those people you can 100% be yourself around. No dress to impress, just come as you are. The people that accept me just as I am, and love me for my quirks. People that I don't have to worry about fitting in with. I can't wait for the many days and nights together in our last half of our last year of High School. I've missed you all, you know who you are.
- My Main Man ;) - My ultimate best friend, my boyfriend. Who has stuck by me through my ups and downs, my happy and sad and whatever else I have thrown his way. Who has tolerated a roller coaster ride ever since he met me, especially since the move. Who continues to love me day in and day out, never losing faith in the year that we spent happy and together. I cannot wait to be home with him and to see where things lead with us. I'm looking forward to having him to support me in every aspect, not that he isn't doing a good job via email phone and every other technological aspect. I love you.
- My Future - Graduation is fast approaching and after I good long 6 or 7 month break I am looking forward to getting my life back into gear. To graduating in June and seeing where life takes me next.
Some of my reasons may seem silly, but I'm just a kid and everyones entitled to being silly. I'm lucky to have parents that love and trust me. That are willing to let me fly free (to some extent), to take control of my own life. There is no easy road for any of us. I'm proud of my parents for having the kind of strength that I don't to stick this out. To my little sisters who have adapted flawlessly and continued on. I know that it cannot have been easy to leave your own friends and then to see my hurt. I love you both.
And to my dad, Thanks for putting the question in my head. You've made me think about a lot the last few months. I'm glad that we've been able to chat and build some sort of relationship recently and I hope it continues.
For Will and Hamish, Thanks for being the best of friends for the last few months. For taking me out and showing me a good time. For keeping me occupied and making my time in New Zealand a good one. I love you guys heaps. I hope that we can continue to stay close no matter how far apart we are physically. You guys are two people I'd like to hang onto for life.
|